Monday, February 11, 2013

Equality

I don't normally talk about women's rights issues, but this really got to me. I know that women's health, the VAWA, and so on are making a comeback as political issues, but that's not the whole story. I've often noticed that conservative pundits and commentators, most notably Rush Limbaugh, talk a lot about Feminists, Feminazis, and so on. They seem to think that women who stand up for themselves, speak out for their rights and freedoms, and who want a stronger voice in politics and social policy discourse are somehow destroying the fabric of our society. This is, in a word, bullshit.

Now, I don't consider myself an expert on gender issues. Perhaps I'm a bit naive about a lot of things when it comes to gender equality. I know that women have been struggling with equal pay, equal representation, and equal rights in general for years. They've been making strides in the workplace over things like maternity leave and so on, and have even made their presence known in Congress with the addition of several more representatives.

But that hasn't stopped the scapegoating of "radical feminism" by conservatives. It's the feminists that advocate abortion, sex education, and, god forbid, birth control and contraception. It's the feminist that has attacked the power of men in the office as well as in the home. It's the feminist that has taken the jobs of men, forcing them to become stay-at-home dads. It's the feminist that had destroyed the institution of marriage by demanding a voice once their a spouse, by experimenting with cohabitation and lesbianism, and by wanting to be equal to men.

What astounds me the most in all of this is that some women are actively opposed to feminism and equality. That just boggles my mind.

Like I said, I don't normally dwell on the issue of women's rights. But I've come to understand that equality among people, regardless of race or gender or sexual orientation, is essential for a just and Democratic society. What we have to do is understand that the feminist movement is still important because there are still people willing to deny rights to women.

I'm astounded that so much ignorance and hate could exist in the 21st Century, but it serves as yet another reminder of why it's important to fight for one's beliefs. The day we lay aside our desire for freedom is the day we lose our freedom completely.

1 comment:

samp said...

I agree with you 100% on this one. Surprise.