Friday, November 11, 2011

Veteran's Day

Today is Veteran's Day. While many people in my position have the day off, I've elected to work. Not because I feel it's somehow demonstrably patriotic, but because I don't get paid if I don't.

Today in Washington, we finally saw some headway made in the way of Obama's jobs bill. Republicans and Democrats came together to pass the piece of the bill that gives companies tax incentives for hiring veteran's. The idea is that vet's have some of the highest unemployment numbers in our country, a disgrace to our heroes, and that this bill would encourage companies to hire more former soldiers.

If there's one thing that rallies our congressmen, it's veteran's affairs. They don't want to be blamed for not supporting America's fighting forces, so they will stand together for mutual benefit. Now, why can't the American Public generate this kind of bipartisanship? If every issue could somehow be tied to veterans, it would be passed, I'm sure. Instead, the people are forgotten, but our lawmakers clamber for resume-boosting votes and legislation.

Today is a day to honor our heroes, living and dead, who've given up comfort, health, safety, and lives to protect America and it's ideals. We may not always be right, we may not always be good, but our men and women in service will protect us and die for us anyway. I'm proud of our service members, I wish them all the best, and hope that they remain, safe, secure, and supported.  God Bless America.

No comments: